Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

Dan posted:

This is rubber on a C5 but we can only do plastic on the printer, so here's a plastic version.  Its the same shape as the original and works well for me:

And attached to the other parts of the bulb housing:

posted on: 14/11/2013 08:21:02

Area51 posted:

can you print the bottom one as well both of mine have perished
posted on: 14/11/2013 17:39:48

Dan posted:

[quote=Area51;1852]can you print the bottom one as well both of mine have perished [/quote]

Yeah could probably do something similar, the only problem with it, as its rubber, will have to change it to clip into the C5 body, a bit like the steering grommet.  Will have a go when I've either succeeded with the mirror brackets or given up on them
posted on: 14/11/2013 18:40:43

Area51 posted:

Thanks Dan
posted on: 14/11/2013 18:43:47

dave posted:

If you can mate can I av all 3 in red ?ta you no what its for lol
posted on: 15/11/2013 20:11:07

Dan posted:

[quote=dave;1876]If you can mate can I av all 3 in red ?ta you no what its for lol BigGrin BigGrin [/quote]

3 of them You've only got one ateam van? I'll do them, just waiting for the reel of red plastic to arrive, its taking a while...
posted on: 15/11/2013 20:18:56

dave posted:

All 3 bits lol just need white gear cog to finish it off or chas's or marra's alloy cog then the build can begin
posted on: 15/11/2013 21:25:39

Jonatan posted:

Hi Dan,
After some research I have found some translucent material for 3D printing. Could you remake certain components with something like that, or is it too complicated? Also, is it possible to make the mirrors with the 3D printer? You could just send it to a 3D manufacturing company and let them scan it in, or?

Cheers
Jonatan
posted on: 05/06/2014 12:08:40

Dan posted:

Hi Jonatan,

That's correct there is transparent PLA that works with the printer. When I say its transparent, its only great if printed very thin.  The thicker the object the less transparent it becomes.  Mirrors I'm sure are possible but I will not be trying to make them due to their complexity. Plus the plastic will never match the C5 White body plastic.

I have in the past attempted to scan in a wing mirror with a 3D scanner and whilst it sort of worked, the technology is just not good enough yet.  Here is one I scanned in a while ago:

As you can see the quality is far from perfect and would require a considerable amount of "touching up" in a 3D modelling program to make it printable.
posted on: 07/06/2014 06:38:52