Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

WisdomWarlord posted:

I am working on my recumbent trike and the touch screen controls for the C5 are a must have. I see several versions and implementations of it and so I'm a little confused. Can someone help me decide what project here will fit my needs and desires.

My trike has a 24v motor and all the controls are from an iZip scooter.

I want as much functionality as I can get. I really like the pedelec mode and the data collection and presentation features.

So, which touch project best fits my project?

Thanks
Keith
posted on: 27/04/2014 13:39:31

dave posted:

They are mostly the same apart from the different wiring for 12 - 24 v dans the man to askance were would you put the screen ?
posted on: 27/04/2014 14:03:30

WisdomWarlord posted:

I'm building a forward fairing that's similar to the C5's, and that will be the mount point for all the electronics.
posted on: 27/04/2014 14:10:49

dave posted:

The touch screen are 34 quid on eBay dan as printed cases for them in the past and they look good too got a red 1 on mine
posted on: 27/04/2014 14:14:56

Dan posted:

Hi Keith,

Yep I still have these boards but you need to be very comfortable soldering the pcb components, wiring, and testing with a multimeter to put it all together You also need to be happy hooking up the arduino boards to a PC (via USB) and uploading the software to each board.

I can only speak from my experience using the board with a uni 8 24v motor controller.  Other controllers I do not know about.  In the 24v configuration the board is simply a monitor, i.e. it doesn't control the motor in any way, it simply monitors its temp, voltage, current etc. Which means as a pedelec it will not work.  In 12V mode the board controls the motor and is turned on/off via a relay which is the same as a standard C5 so I don't think this is the best idea for your trike.

Regardless of the mode (12V or 24V) the board itself requires a 12V power supply, so in 24V mode we use 2 12V batteries and one of the batteries powers the board.

As Dave had said the touchscreen/arduino boards are about £35 on ebay.  I made this early last year and I imagine there are better screens out there now, though the software is pretty much tied to that type of touchscreen (320x240) by sainsmart.

On the whole with all the components/screen/arduinos it probably adds up to about £100.

Dave:

Did you ever get your 24V board working?  I know you were having problems with the motor temp reading?

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 27/04/2014 14:54:15

dave posted:

Yip it's was working last time I looked at it only the speedo to sort out
posted on: 27/04/2014 15:00:37

dave posted:

This you mean ? Lol
posted on: 27/04/2014 15:19:28

WisdomWarlord posted:

Dan, soldering and testing and wiring programming the board is no problem.
Is there a way to get the pedelec feature on the 24v touch, even if it still setup for 12v? Is it just a matter of loading the right code to the controller and hooking up the Reed switch?
Also, how difficult would it be too take that Reed switch input and use it to display cadence? I'm hoping it's just a matter of code. I'm thinking that I could modify the code for speed and use that for cadence since they are essentially the same thing.

Thanks
posted on: 29/04/2014 14:12:59

Dan posted:

[quote=WisdomWarlord;3120]Is there a way to get the pedelec feature on the 24v touch, even if it still setup for 12v? Is it just a matter of loading the right code to the controller and hooking up the Reed switch?[/quote]

As the board (in 24V configuration) cannot enable/disable the motor the pedelec will not work. In 12V mode the board controls the 12V relay which on the C5 turns the motor on/off.  I've created  a dedicated post for the touch board as a few people are asking about it now.  So I'm not duplicating information can you post any questions regarding the board here:

http://www.c5owners.com/sinclair-c5-forum/topic/385/x-pod-touchscreen-board

Thanks!

Dan
posted on: 30/04/2014 19:37:12