Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

paulc5 posted:

Can anyone offer any help please I have rebuilt my C5 and checked the motor before fitting to the C5 by connecting it to a battery and it worked ok. When the vehicle is off the ground and pressing the power button the motor runs ok and the wheels turn, but when I put the vehicle on the ground and press the power button I just get a loud ratchet type noise. Thanks in advance Paul
posted on: 07/10/2014 21:25:52

Pep posted:

Hi Paul C5

The problem sounds like the drive belt is slipping when under load, check the belt tension and tighten it if needed, also check the teeth on the motor/gearbox pulley to see if they are worn,

I am sure other will be able to advise too

Pep
posted on: 07/10/2014 21:49:17

Ray1 posted:

Hi Paul
Happened on one of mine. Under the cog end of the motor there is a vertical piece of plastic which is there to keep the end of the motor from being pulled down by the belt under load. You may find it is not in position, IE too far outwards.
This is easily fixed using a plastic tie-wrap. If you search for something like 'machine gun sound' there are several postings on the subject, with photos showing you where to place the ti-wrap. There are a couple of different ideas.
It worked for me. Good luck.
posted on: 07/10/2014 22:34:24

dadandjames posted:

Always best to get the old girl rolling first with the pedles before using the motor.
posted on: 08/10/2014 21:33:08