Please note: The forum is now closed to new submissions. All the existing forum topics and posts are still available, however new topics cannot be created. If you need Sinclair C5 advice please use the C5 Owners Facebook Group.

blastfromthepast posted:

I'm on a roll at the moment asking silly questions, and so far you've all been kind enough to help without ridicule.. so I think I'm ready to post this question.

I know the c5 is a bit man in a shed thing, but at the weekend I had to attach my wheeltrim using a piece of yoghurt pot.

I'm working away from home today, so can't post a photo, but I'll do my best to explain..

My rear left hand side wheeltrim. What is supposed to hold it in place?
I have the bolt that attaches the wheel to the shaft. And a wheeltrim with a big hole in it. That's all I had. So I found a large washer to sit on the top of the wheeltrim, but there was a huge gap that needed to be filled in order to be able to do the thing up so the wheeltrim was on tight, hence the use of the slither of yoghurt pot that now nicely braces the gap.
Unlike the other side there is no nice star shaped thing that holds on the trim. The user manual is useless as it just shows some round washer looking thing, but I can't make out what it is. What I am sure of is that it's not a dairy product container.

If any of this made any sense and you can help me by telling me what is supposed to secure the left hand side wheel trim, thank you.
Else I'll post a pic on Thursday.
posted on: 10/03/2015 20:58:25

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

The right hand side (brake side) the wheel trim is held in place by a large washe that you have to put in the outer bearing cup inside it then put the wheel trim in place and push the whole thing in the wheel hole
Then the outer bearing goes in so on and so on .
It's hard to explane but I will put some photos on in the morning explaining how to do it
Bye Chas
posted on: 10/03/2015 21:54:17

blastfromthepast posted:

Thanks Chas, and a pic of the washer if you can, as I need to try and find one.
And yes you're right of course, it's the right side (I was working on this with the c5 turned over [blush] )
posted on: 10/03/2015 22:14:14

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Ok if you cannot find a washer I will post you one
Bye Chas
posted on: 10/03/2015 22:16:30

blastfromthepast posted:

Top bloke. Thanks

If I can do anything in return just ask. There's nothing I don't know about PCs, websites, networking, and all things IT. And yoghurt pots.
posted on: 10/03/2015 22:20:34

Karl posted:

Thanks to Chas, this maybe of some use to you.

posted on: 10/03/2015 22:50:33

rusala posted:

And yoghurt pots.
I'm really sorry for the off topic but after that part about yoghurt I just couldn't help myself Check out 5:19 of that classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E

posted on: 10/03/2015 22:59:19

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Thanks Karl just what I was going to do .but you saved me from setting it up ..
Ps I contacted RS last Friday and they assured me that the item that wasn't available but it would be with me on Monday and as you know it's now Wednesday and still not here I will be getting back to them today as it's not it should be .
Bye Chas
posted on: 11/03/2015 08:08:49

blastfromthepast posted:

Thanks Karl.

So mine doesn't look like that.
I do actually have that large washer on the left hand side but couldn't figure out what to do with it (I found it rattling around inside the wheeltrim). And the reason for that is I am missing both cups (either side of the red line)

They look to be unique. If anyone has a pair for sale, please do let me know. Thanks in advance
posted on: 11/03/2015 08:33:34

blastfromthepast posted:

.. erm if I'm missing those cups, and assuming they are bearing cups, that means I am missing bearings too? Oh dear.
I need to post a pic of what I have. Will do tomorrow morning.
posted on: 11/03/2015 08:55:01

Karl posted:

Hi Chas,

yes we know RS very well, you can't trust what's on their web page or the info they give you. And the photos are of course from Chas.

@ Gary,

hope you find the cups, look and see if they've been inserted into the wheel recesses. They are one of the few items that are not available, if nobody has a spare pair it's a case of a replacement wheel.
posted on: 11/03/2015 14:22:32

SINCLAIR C5 CHAS posted:

Hi Karl phoned up this morning to RS and they said there was a problem and said sorry they will be with you on Friday ( but not sure which Friday )
Bye Chas
posted on: 11/03/2015 16:14:11

Karl posted:

Hi Chas,

I could think of a few terms using RS as a stater, but none of them would be Radio Spares.

Anyway many thanks for your time and effort.
posted on: 12/03/2015 02:17:52

blastfromthepast posted:

@Karl & Chas, that image you posted of the parts laid out in order nailed it!

So i do actually have everything i need (and you were right the cups & bearings were tucked inside the wheel out of sight) - here they are in all their glory:

so this is how i got into the pickle..

when i took delivery of the c5 the wheel trim fell off in my hand, and rattling around inside was the washer.

I took the wheel off to change the inner tube, and then when putting back together couldn't figure out how that washer with the large hole could possibly hold on the wheeltrim, when the nut on the very end would simply pass through the washers hole.

hence why i used a different washer with a smaller hole and the erm yoghurt pot.

My eureka moment came this morning when i realised from looking at your diagram that the bearing cup needs to be inserted the other side of the wheeltrim and when coupled with the washer it holds it all in place.

i would never have figured this out from the user manual.

Karl & Chas, once again i am in your debt.

and this, has gone in the bin now:

posted on: 12/03/2015 08:57:45

Karl posted:

Hi Gary,

good to hear that's all's present. When I first saw how the cover was mounted it made me wonder why they had produced it this way, I think the designer liked chinese puzzles.

Bye the way there's no debt incurred, we are all helping each other when possible.

Av phun.
posted on: 12/03/2015 10:34:49